Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Baby Sling Tutorial

Now that I have four kids I really needed a way to walk around with them all.  We have a double stroller that Penelope and Scarlett ride in.  Tucker walks but I still needed something for Leon.  My first thought was to make Penelope walk and put Leon in the stroller, the only problem is that we need to walk along a busy road to pick Tucker up from school.  I tried walking with her along the road and she just got really scared and cried.  So I knew that wasn't going to work.  Now with the sling, I have one walker, two in the stroller, and one strapped onto my chest.

This sling is supper easy to make; it is basically a large rectangle with rings on one end.  And it is perfect for newborns.  They can sleep comfortably in it without having their arms and legs sticking out. Plus it makes keeping them warm outside easy.


Materials Needed:
2 1/2 yards x 33 inches of thick non stretchy fabric
sewing machine
2" steel rings from Lowes

 1) Fold the edges over two times and sew around the entire thing making a large rectangle.
 2) On one of the shorter sides create 2" pleats.  Iron and pin them.
 3) Sew along the end just below the fold.
 4) Fed the fabric through both rings.
5) Fold it back over both rings and sew it in place.  I went over my sewing here two times because it will hold a lot of weight and I wanted to make sure it wouldn't rip.

You are done!
To use the sling, take the end without the rings and put it through both rings and over then back through just one ring.

When I wear it I put the rings up by my shoulder and the babies head goes near there.  Then your baby should be sitting in the fabric.


7 comments:

Stylishly in love said...

Love this carrier. You in case you missed having your belly. Adorable little bundle of joy.

XO
Sofia
stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

mommy Orkid Belle said...

One precious little one you have. When my little girl was a newborn I did make a baby wrap though, but not like a sling like what you did. :) Love it!

Katie @ Made to be a Momma. said...

How perfect! My new little one loves to be held alot and this is something I definetly need! Would love to have you share this at my {Homemade By You} party!
http://www.madetobeamomma.com/2013/04/homemade-by-you-47.html

Kelly McLuckie said...

I loved carrying my two boys in a ring sling, but you can't beat a Manduca!!! I wish I'd never bothered with the double stroller as the manduca was far more practical and flexible. My only sadness is that they are now both more interested in walking - they grow up so fast hey xo

Taelia88 said...

Wonderful tutorial! I loved the outcome!
Great post!! I included it in my post Βόλτα στη Γειτονιά!!! ...while sewing!! :)
Have a great weekend!!

Unknown said...

That's great! We will be needing one shortly!

Riyanna Lopez said...

If you carry your child on your front, he or she should be able to look at you – belly to little belly, so to speak. Her legs should be bent, with knees at around the level of her belly button, head well supported, and back slightly rounded.

Riyanna
Kansas City Carpet Restoration